We offer a PhD position in the junior working group “Microbial Genomics” combining the two scientific disciplines of biology and bioinformatics. The successful candidate will be investigating metagenome data sets of insects. For this purpose the candidate will evaluate existing tools in the field and join promising tools to build a workflow for the analysis of insect metagenomes.
What we expect from you
- You have an overall good academic record
- You have successfully completed your M.Sc. or diploma studies in bioinformatics, medical informatics or a related discipline
- You are comfortable working with Linux/Unix and Windows
- You feel comfortable with at least one scripting language (e.g. Perl, Python) and you have experience with a programming language (preferably Java)
- You have experience with bioinformatics tools for the analysis of next-generation sequencing data
- Ideally, you also have a solid background in biology
- You have a basic knowledge of German is desired
- You are ambitious, dedicated, and flexible and you work independently equally well as in a team
What you can expect from usThe Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology IME practice applied life sciences from molecule to ecosystem. The project group "Bioresources", a member of the research network of the LOEWE center offers a varied and challenging work environment in a stimulating and interdisciplinary research environment with very good infrastructure and many industrial partners. You will find more details about this:
http://www.ime.fraunhofer.de/en/businessareasMB/bioresources.html or http://www.insekten-biotechnologie.de/start.html
In case of identical qualifications, preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft is committed to providing equal career opportunities for men and women.
This vacancy is also available on a part-time basis.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
For further questions please contact Ms. Ricarda Doering.
Please apply directly online by clicking on the blue "Apply" button. Please abstain from submitting paper copies for environmental reasons.
|Job Reference: IME-BR-2017-1||Closing Date: 15.02.2017|