Innovations for the digital society of the future are the focus of research and development work at the Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute HHI. In this area, Fraunhofer HHI is a world leader in the development of mobile and optical communication networks and systems, fiber optical sensor systems as well as the processing and coding of video signals.
The Wireless Communication and Networks (WN) department performs research within the broad area of wireless communication systems and networks ranging from information theory to the implementation of demonstrators and tests in the field. Special emphasis is put on network architectures, control and data plane design, network measurement and traffic analysis, design of virtualized networks, self-organisation and self- optimisation, heterogeneous access management, cooperative systems, distributed wireless networks including massive wireless sensor networks, resilient networks, cross-layer optimisation, cognitive radio, multi-antenna systems, and AI/ML algorithms for network optimization.
The PhD position is connected with a project called “IC4F - Industrial Communication for Factories”. The flagship project IC4F focuses on a technology toolkit for a trustworthy industrial communication and computing infrastructure for the digitalization of the manufacturing industry.
Research topics include:
- Intelligent detection of faults and anomalies in wireless access networks including 5G campus networks
- Research in the scope of Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Function Virtualization (NFV) includes
- In-Network Computing (INC) for wireless, enterprise, and data center networks; Design of joint hardware-software co-designed systems.
- AI-based network optimization leveraging NPB, INT and INC approaches (Traffic prediction, resource reallocation, self-healing)
- Design of unified analytics engines for ML-based anomaly detection
- Resilient network design considering data centers, storage, computation, radio and core network resources
- Cross-layer design optimizations for dense wireless access, multi-hop relay, and mesh networks
- Development of secure communication and computing systems with real-time capabilities
What we expect from you
- University studies completed with very good academic achievements
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Very good proficiency in software development.
- Very good knowledge of the GNU / Linux system architecture
- Knowledge in the fields of machine learning, artificial intelligence and big data analytics
- Knowledge of Wi-Fi and mobile technology is desired
- Experience with SDN/NFV concepts is desired
- Experience with cross-compiling for embedded systems
What you can expect from usThis PhD position covers multi-disciplinary skills and at the end the student will develop knowledge and become expert covering the intersection of all these areas: data analytics, machine learning, communication systems, mobile networks, optimization of communication systems. Having background and experience in one or more of these areas is an advantage.
The working time consists 39 hours per Week..
The position is initially limited for two years.
In case of identical qualifications preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact:
Dr. Julius Schulz-Zander
Tel: +49 3031002 331
Dr. Martin Kasparick
Tel: +49 3031002 853
Please submit your application documents (master degree certificates, enrollment certificate, employment references, CV, etc.) via our recruitment portal. Your application cannot be considered without the relevant supporting evidence.
|Job Reference: HHI-2019-39||Closing Date: 31.08.2019|