The Fraunhofer-Institute for Reliability and Microintegration (IZM) researches, develops and provides solutions for microelectronics and microsystems technology. The institute follows an interdisciplinary approach on the research of internationally recognized packaging technologies and assembly processes. Its focus lies on the development of intelligent, robust systems. The newly founded group Technologies for Bioelectronic Medicine aims to develop a versatile platform technology for the fabrication of active neural interfaces and bioelectronic medicines. Emphasizing on including modularity and scalability attributes, while assembling and protecting the high-density electronics in a flexible form that matches the environment within the human body, the goal is to offer solutions that ensure a short time to first functional prototype implant.
What we expect from youRequired qualifications:
- scientific university degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics or a related discipline, with main focus on fabrication, material science as well as analog and digital electronics
- ideally, you will have a PhD in the fields of study as mentioned above, and will have specialized on thin film fabrication processes and flexible materials, reliability studies and analog and digital electronics relevant to electrical stimulation of the neural tissue
- knowledge of electrical instrumentation (impedance spectroscopy and pA current measurement) as well as adhesive technology and process chemistry.
- familiarity with electrochemistry, miniature hermetic packaging for implanted devices, and biocompatibility standards for implanted devices and implantable electrodes will be considered a plus
- willingness to take on responsibility for various projects as well as interest in assisting with the guidance of a small group of researchers
- good capacity for teamwork as well as the ability to occasionally work under small loads of pressure
- structured, collaborative and team-oriented working principles
- scientific way of thinking, working, and acting
Your duties and responsibilities
You can expect exciting tasks in the “Technologies for Bioelectronic Medicine” team, with whom you will:
- design, fabricate and test (structurally and functionally) modular and scalable bioelectronic implants - design and develop miniature and reliable packaging technology for flexible bioelectronic implants
- set up long-term reliability tests for the developed implants that match the environment the implant will see in the human body
- test the devices prior to clinical tests - participate in the setting up of our new lab dedicated to “integration technologies for bioelectronic medicines”
- prepare and present findings of research activity to colleagues and collaborators, and at conferences
- contribute to the drafting and submitting of papers to appropriate peer reviewed journals - contribute to further project acquisition
- contribute to the overall activities of the research team and department as required
What you can expect from us- You will be embedded in an international and diverse team of researchers.
- You will have opportunities for further training and personal development, tailored to your needs after discussion with your manager.
In case of identical qualifications preference will be given to severely disabled candidates. The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality. The position is initially funded for 2 years, with the possibility of extension.
In case of identical qualifications preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality.
This vacancy is also available on a part-time basis.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
To discuss more About the role please contact:
Dr. Vasiliki Giagka
|Job Reference: IZM-2019-19||Closing Date:|