The Photonics Networks and Systems Department at the Fraunhofer Institute for Telecommunications (Heinrich Hertz Institute) develops innovative optical communications networks and systems for the underlying infrastructure of the Internet, including the future 5th Generation (5G) of mobile networks. Currently, one of our focus is to leverage Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) to develop sophisticated solutions to enhance the performance of telecommunications networks in general, and optical networks in particular. Our goal is to identify the key areas whether ML and AI can be substantially beneficial for the operation of the networks. These areas include transmission, networking, and management of the networks.
The student will be involved in different stages of the development of ML and AI based solutions for optical networks, which include:
- surveying the relevant scientific papers and articles,
- data generation and characterization,
- feature engineering,
- model training and testing, and
- assisting with the experimental evaluation of the developed models.
What we expect from you
- Enrolled Bachelor/Master student (m/f) in one of the following programs: Electrical Engineering, Communications Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Physics or related background
- Strong skills in Python and MATLAB
- Fundamental knowledge in data science, distributed computing, ML, AI, and telecommunications networks
- Team player with a structured way of working and able to work with little guidance
- Fluent in English (verbal and written)
What you can expect from us
- Flexible office hours for your own best time management convenience
- Working in one of the world-leading optical communications labs
- Young, international and enthusiastic colleagues
- Option to prepare Bachelor-/ Master Thesis
The working time consists max. 80 hours per month.
The Position is initiallly limited for 6 month.
In case of identical qualifications preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact:
Dr.-Ing. Johannes Fischer
Please submit your application documents (enrollment certificate, employment references, CV, etc.) via our recruitment portal.
Your application cannot be considered without the relevant supporting evidence.
|Job Reference: HHI-2019-37||Closing Date: 21.07.2019|