To start on our group “Building Systems Technology“ as soon as possible is looking for a student for an
Within the European Project RenoZEB (https://renozeb.eu/), innovative plug and play solutions for the energetic renovation of residential buildings are developed and tested. This includes for example prefabricated facade elements, facade-integrated ventilation systems, innovative blind control, etc. The different HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) and daylight (f.e. automated blinds) systems implemented in the project have different IOT (Internet of Things), home automation or smart home capabilities. In the proposed thesis, the first goal would be to have a broader look on the existing communication protocols and hardware in the IOT/smart home branch, with a focus on HVAC and daylight systems. The goal of this step is to establish an overview and evaluation of existing systems. In a second step, the focus will be on inter-operability: how can different systems from different manufacturers work together? What are the existing hardware components/protocols that allow inter-operability, also with already existing systems in a building? If there is no existing system, the focus will be on developing a new smart home/IOT component for inter-operatibility between existing HVAC/Daylight components, that is optimised for renovation and implementation in existing building/systems. In a final step, the developped system will be demonstrated with existing HVAC/daylight components.
Your duties include
- Establish an overview of existing IOT/Smart home systems as well as communication protocolls in the HVAC/daylight field
- Define requirements to set-up a cloud server for IoT services. Investigate business models related to IoT services
- Develop a new hardware component to insure inter-operability between existing HVAC/daylight systems, based on the IOT/Smart home interfaces that are most commonly offered by these systems
- Test the newly develop components with the HVAC and daylight systems within the RenoZEB project
What you have to offer
- Study in the area of electronic or mechatronic engineering, or equivalent
- Electronics, Wireless and smart home communication protocols, HVAC
- Ability to work in an international teamProgramming skills (f.e. C/C++, python, etc.)
- Very good english
We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
If you have any questions about this position, please contact
Thibault Pflug, Tel.: +49 (0)761 45 88-5868
Please send your application, including the reference number to:
(Cover letter, CV, credentials and references should be sent in a single PDF document no larger than 10 MB)
|Job Reference: ISE-2020-86||Closing Date:|