First, what is Virtual Inspection Planning?
It is a new research field which is about to take over the industry. Consider this - everything you own or have used has at some point been visually inspected. Do you know how?
You might be thinking now "surely it was automated, everything is nowadays". Well, even if the inspection process itself was automated (which in many cases still is not) the physical inspection setup was still planned and determined by an engineer in a laboratory somewhere. That process takes a lot of time and is posing a challenge to anyone saying something like "Let's use Machine Learning on it!"
So,what are we doing? We are developing a set of tools which make it possible to optimize and revolutionize inspection and are driving Inspection 4.0. The tools utilize Computer Graphics, Computer Vision and Machine Learning to enable planning and are further prepared to be used within a web platform to ensure high availability.
Fields of activity:
- V-POI and RayPlan
- V-POI (Viewpoint of Interest) is the web platform enabling virtual inspection planning and interactive acquisition setup configuration.
- RayPlan is a computation and simulation tool with a possibility to automatically generate inspection positions required to maximally cover the given object.
Technologies you would be working with:
- Elixir (Phoenix, LiveView)
- C++ (dependent on the development area)
- Implementation of new inspection planning features in V-POI
- V-POI user interface refinement
- Inspection planning uncertainty simulation and visualization using RayPlan and V-POI
- Integration of RayPlan into V-POI backend
- Use of WebAssembly for coverage estimation
- Introduction of automated tests
What we expect from you
- You are studying computer science, mathematics, electrical engineering or similar
- You are interested in computer graphics and/or web development
- You have good coding understanding (concepts and methods)
- You have no problem using multiple programming languages and technologies
- You know git is not a necessary evil, but is actually good for you and your team
- You are an open person who is willing to share and pitch in ideas
- You take over responsibility for the tasks which have been assigned to you and can communicate progress
It is a plus if you
- Have experience in using with ThreeJS
- Have experience in working with web frameworks
- Have developed in C++
- Have contributed to an open source project
What you can expect from us
- Choice whether you want to work remotely or onsite
- Flexible working hours
- An environment where you can learn, work in a team and suggest your own ideas.
- A possibility of thesis supervision
- Academic publishing opportunities and conference attendance
- A possibility to see the bigger picture and not just to work on one highly detailed task
- A possibility to discuss task adaptation to your interests and skills
- Working with good programming practices and code reviews
- Opportunity to learn about various industries from the inspection side which is typically difficult to get insight into
- A possibility to work with us as an Erasmus intern
We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality.
The position is initially limited to six months. A semester-by-semester extension will be sought.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
The Fraunhofer ITWM shows an extraordinary commitment to a family-friendly work environment for its employees: flexible working and parental leave times, daycare, the possibility of a home office, organization of health days and sports activities as well as a parent-child office make the Fraunhofer ITWM in Kaiserslautern an attractive employer.
Have we aroused your interest?
Then apply online by December 31, 2021 including CV and letter of motivation in English,, certificate of enrolment at university and latest transcript of records at:
Questions about this position will be answered by:
Information about Virtual Inspection Planning can be found at:
More information about Fraunhofer ITWM can be found at:
Fraunhofer-Institut für Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik
|Job Reference: ITWM-2021-27||Closing Date: 31.12.2021|