Fraunhofer IGD is the leading research institute for applied »visual computing«. We seek for excellent candidates to join our Competence Center »3D Printing Technology«. This is a position within the EU-funded Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, Initial Training Network project entitled “Appearance Printing, European Advance Research School” - ApPEARS. (http://www.appears-itn.eu/).
What we expect from youThe applicant should have the following background and abilities:
- Master’s degree (Computer Science, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Natural Sciences or similar)
- Excellent C++ programming skills
- Experience in problem solving and real-world implementation of the solutions
- Knowledge in computer graphics/color science is a plus (geometry processing, rendering, gamut mapping, color spaces)
- Knowledge in 3D printing is a plus
- Capable and ready to work independently and in a team environment
- Good written and spoken English language skills
- The applicant must fulfil the requirements defined for Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) who, at the time of recruitment are in the first 4 years (full-time equivalent) of his/her research career; and have NOT yet been awarded the doctorate degree.
- Applicants should not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, study, etc) in Germany for more than 12 months during the last 3 years.
What you can expect from usYou will receive scientific skills in cutting-edge techniques focusing on translational science in expert laboratories, in a highly stimulating and collaborative environment within the ApPEARS network. In addition, you will receive specialised courses involving business, OpenScience for Open Innovation and entrepreneurship. Transferable skills will be embedded throughout the project. There will be opportunities for short term secondments in collaborative laboratories within the ApPEARS network.
Your work will focus on optimizing appearance 3D printing for distinct applications. In particular:
- Analyze distinct fields of applications for which material appearance can be reproduced with multi-material 3D printing technologies (e.g. dental or eye-prosthetics). This evaluation includes technical requirements but also a market study to obtain user demand and address it in optimizations.
- Use/develop techniques from AI and machine learning, in particular deep learning, to optimize printing workflows for the investigated applications, e.g. optimizing printing material selection/mixing and surface smoothness.
- Implement these approaches and include them into the 3D printing pipeline Cuttlefish (www.cuttlefish.de)
The Competence Center 3D Printing Technology works on a universal approach to reproduce real or virtual objects with multi-material 3D printing. With this goal, we develop new models, algorithms and software, to reproduce the optical material properties of objects in addition to their geometry. Our goal is the perceptually optimal reproduction of, in particular, color, texture, gloss and translucency within the bounds of the device capabilities.
We offer a modern and innovation-friendly work environment, which is imbued with a mixture of research and applying the research results to industry-relevant challenges.
The working time consists of 39 hours per week.
The position is initially limited for 1 year.
In case of identical qualifications preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
|Job Reference: IGD-2021-23||Closing Date: 18.11.2021|