The Fraunhofer Institute for Cognitive Systems IKS is conducting research in the application of Cognitive Systems in safety-critical environments. Cognitive Systems are able to comprehend their environment, perform complex reasoning tasks, and are continuously learning. AI components usually constitute a large part of a Cognitive System. Integration of several ML-based systems that are inherently uncertain further adds to the complexity of perception and reasoning tasks. The goal is to enable a reliable and performant behavior, despite these uncertainties, by imparting the Cognitive Systems with an understanding of their operational environment.
AI systems lack an understanding of the world and sometimes can be too confident in their inferences, independent of the current situational context. An additional situational awareness would enable a Resilient Cognitive system to perform reasoning tasks and associated behavior adaptations effectively. This situational awareness is imparted at various levels of abstractions into our Cognitive Agents. Ongoing research deals with the development and testing of Cognitive Agents in the domain of Autonomous Driving.
- Development and Design of Situation-aware Cognitive Agents
- Simulated Evaluation & Benchmarking of Dynamic Driving Agents
- Integration of various DNN’s into existing Autonomous Driving stack
- Realization and execution of different test scenarios to compute various driving metrics
- Evaluation of the test results in regards to Safety and Performance
What we expect from you
- Master’s student in Computer Science or equivalent degree
- Sound practical expertise in Agile Software development
- Knowledge and experience working with simulators like Autoware, CARLA, Webots, Gazebo.
- Practical experience in Python and C++ programming
- Analytical, structured, and result-oriented mindset
- Contributions to Research publications
What you can expect from us
- Participation in a dynamic team with innovative task areas
- Practical approach to your studies
- Possibility to continue the work in the form of a thesis
- The duration of employment and working time is set by arrangement
In case of identical qualifications preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality.
The Fraunhofer Institute for Cognitive Systems IKS conducts applied research into the topics of tomorrow: artificial intelligence, cognitive systems and intelligent software architectures for autonomous systems. Our primary focus is safety-critical applications in the areas of Industry 4.0 and automotive, as well as mobile machines and commercial vehicles. We thus develop dependable software technologies for people. For instance, we examine how artificial intelligence can be validated so that it can be utilized even in autonomous vehicles, human-robot interaction and medical instruments. That means we’re paving the way for a dependable digital world.
If we could arise your interest, please apply exclusively through the career page on our website with all the necessary documents (cover letter, curriculum vitae, certificates).
Additional questions will be answered gladly by
Mr. Salvi, M.Sc.
+49 89 547088-359
|Job Reference: IKS-2021-52||Closing Date:|