The department "Flow and Material Simulation" at the Fraunhofer ITWM designs and implements method and software solutions for the development, manufacturing and improvement of innovative, sustainable materials. Current applications deal with concrete solutions for overcoming the climate crisis. These include material substitution by bio-based and biohybrid textiles, foams and composite materials in lightweight construction, efficient and alternative battery concepts for electromobility or self-cleaning particle filters.
The central research content here is combined model- and data-based computer simulations based on multiscale or multiphysics methods for process and material optimisation in electromobility, the bioeconomy and personalised product design. The PhD topics deal with the development and application of numerical methods and their integration into multiscale models using gradient-based optimisation methods, AI-based data analysis methods and/or database concepts. Among others, the following topics are currently available:
- AI-assisted multiscale framework for optimal infiltration of fiber-reinforced composites.
- Asymptotic analysis and simulation-based design of additively manufactured material structures or technical textiles
- Deep Material Networks for multi-scale simulation of composites and metamaterials
- End-to-end modelling and simulation of the production and application behaviour of foams as damping or insulation materials
- Data-supported multi-scale modelling, simulation and optimisation of apparatus and processes in separation technology (filtration, separation, treatment)
- Highly efficient battery simulation models for regional, usage-dependent online prediction of energy requirements of electric vehicles
What we expect from you
- An above-average university degree in applied mathematics, physics or mechanical engineering (computational engineering)
- An interest in industrial issues and a certain drive to research
- Knowledge of mathematical modelling and/or numerical simulation methods
- The ability to communicate complex issues clearly in German and English
- Good knowledge of a high-level programming language, preferably C++ and/or Python
- We expect you to present your research findings at scientific meetings and in journals during.
What you can expect from us
- Good supervision and collaboration with innovative project teams
- Support in acquiring domain knowledge and IT skills as part of your induction phase
- Sharpening of your personal profile through research in application-oriented and industry-relevant subject areas and networking with industry
- Insights into the requirements and challenges of mathematical practice while you research free of project obligations
- An extensive continuing education programme in various mathematical methods, IT topics and soft skills
- Funding is provided by a full-time PhD scholarship at increased DFG rates or a temporary TvöD position.
The scholarship is limited to 3 years.
In case of identical qualifications preference will be given to severely disabled candidates.
We would like to point out that the chosen job title also includes the third gender.
The Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft emphasises gender-independent professional equality.
Fraunhofer is Europe’s largest application-oriented research organization. Our research efforts are geared entirely to people’s needs: health, security, communication, energy and the environment. As a result, the work undertaken by our researchers and developers has a significant impact on people’s lives. We are creative. We shape technology. We design products. We improve methods and techniques. We open up new vistas.
The Fraunhofer ITWM shows an extraordinary commitment to a family-friendly work environment for its employees: flexible working and parental leave times, day-care, the possibility of a home office, organization of health days and sports activities as well as a parent-child office make the Fraunhofer ITWM in Kaiserslautern an attractive employer.
Have we aroused your interest?
Then apply online until March 31th, 2022 at:
Questions about this position will be answered by:
Dr. Konrad Steiner
Information about the Institute can be found on the Internet at:
Fraunhofer-Institut für Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik
|Job Reference: ITWM-2021-53||Closing Date: 15.01.2022|