Research activities in the Adaptive Optics Group at Fraunhofer IOSB revolve around imaging through turbulence (especially along horizontal paths and strong turbulence) and free-space laser communication. We are developing simulations, theoretical models, image processing software and adaptive optics systems. Imaging along horizontal paths has unique challenges, quite different from astronomical adaptive optics, and therefore we promote unconventional approaches to the problem. The AO group at Fraunhofer IOSB is one of very few research units in Europe where work is devoted to this topic.
The successful candidate will be responsible for running the adaptive optics (AO) laboratory.
The tasks will include:
- Implementation of new AO concepts,
- Measurements of turbulence strength (r0, t0) with the existing Shack-Hartmann-based AO system,
- Maintenance of the existing AO systems,
- Mentoring of, and collaboration with the students.
- Degree in applicable field of Engineering or Physics (PhD preferred),
- Broad base of optics knowledge,
- In-depth knowledge of imaging through turbulence and adaptive optics, Fourier optics,
- Experience with at least one programming language; familiarity with LabView would be an advantage,
- Experience with building and testing of AO systems would be a strong advantage.
Expected start date: Early 2013.
Salary and work conditions according to Tarifvertrag für den öffentlichen Dienst (TVöD).
The initial appointment is for three years and extendable depending on performance and available funding.
Fraunhofer-Society is committed to a policy of equal opportunities for men and women.
Telefon: +49 7243 992 120
und Bildauswertung IOSB,
To apply send a CV and the names and contact information of two references to: